Friday, January 26, 2018

If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? by Alan Alda


I really enjoyed Alan Alda's book, If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?: My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating. I listened to the audio version and would highly recommend it as the author narrates with grace, enthusiasm and self-effacing humor.  Alan's work with Scientific American interviewing researchers from around the world allowed him to learn about the use of empathy, to ask good questions, and bring out the human side of scientists who learn to communicate to an audience.

Alan conducted some experiments where he used the tools of improv comedy to allow scientist to develop better methods of expressing themselves and helping musicians to improve their performance. He also did some of his own experiments attempting to develop empathy towards others by focusing and noticing individuals expression and behaviors. 

Mr. Alda points out that it is critical for scientists to communicate effectively. They need to convince others to pay for their research.  They also need to communicate the results of their research to other scientists, the public and policy makers so they can understand it and act on the information. 




Alan Alda - Three ways of expressing self - 5 min.


Alan Alda - Good Communication - 7 min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment